1. Avoid the sales pressure
Some agents can use all kinds of high pressure sales techniques including:
- Using panic selling such as telling you that someone else is about to take the house (they usually aren’t!)
- Showing you three terrible houses, then one mediocre one, so that you jump at it, thinking it’s ‘one of the best ones out there’
- Asking you to put down a deposit after a virtual viewing only, with no opportunity to see the house in person and get a feel for the space and area
Student Houses Cardiff always conduct our own face-to-face viewings with plenty of time to look around and ask questions. This means you get an open, honest, informed view of the properties, and of us as landlords, with no heavy pressure techniques.
2. You deal directly with the decision maker and get things done quicker
The nicest student house can be ruined by an agent who doesn’t fix the central heating for weeks. Generally renting direct from the landlord (like Student Houses Cardiff) rather than an agent has the best reputation. It makes sense that a landlord will want to look after their properties more keenly than an agent with over 200 properties on their books. Most 2nd and 3rd years who have experience of renting will be looking to rent direct from a landlord, and will be keen to share their horror stories of constant calls to agents with unresolved maintenance issues.
3. Don’t get ‘stuck in-the-middle’ hell
Usually tenants contact the letting agent or landlord when something needs repairing or if they’re going to be late with their rent. So it’s important the information gets there as quickly as possible. With the letting agent as middle man, it can often take longer for information to reach the right person. There’s also a chance of information getting lost in translation as they relay information between you and the landlord. You almost never know what the landlord said to the agent, so by the time the information gets back to you, you can be stuck between the agent blaming the landlord or vice versa.
Save the hassle and rent direct with a landlord (like Students Houses Cardiff) and make sure that your landlord is experienced, professional and local.